If you have any questions about this policy please Contact Us.
This policy applies to True Value and its wholly owned subsidiaries. Retail stores, whether branded as True Value or not, are independently owned and operated businesses. True Value is not legally liable for actions taken or data collected by independent retail stores.
Collection of Information
When you visit our websites or purchase items, types of information we may collect include:
- Mailing/Billing/ Shipping address
- Email address
- Phone (or mobile) number
- Birth Month
- Payment Method
- Your device information
We may also collect information about you in the following ways:
- Contact Information. We may collect the names and user names of our customers and other visitors. Additionally, we may collect information regarding your physical addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and other digital contact information. We may also collect information that you provide us about others.
- Purchase and Payment Information. When you make a purchase, we collect your purchase history, payment information, including information from your credit or debit card, check, PayPal account or gift card.
- Demographic Information. We may collect information about products or services you like, reviews you submit, or where you shop. We might also collect information like your physical address, age, gender, marital status, profession, income, and other data related to a natural person. We may collect some of this information from other sources. We may get information about you from third party business partners. We may collect information about you from a friend. For example, if your friend purchases something for us to send to you.
- Location Information. If you use our mobile services, we may collect location data obtained from your mobile device's GPS. If you use our websites or our mobile application, we may collect location data obtained from your IP address. We may use this location data to find the True Value store nearest to you, product recommendations, product availability online and at the True Value stores near you and driving directions to True Value stores.
- Other Information. If you use our websites, we may collect information about the browser you are using. We might track the pages you visit, look at what website you came from, or what website you visit when you leave us. We collect this information using the tracking tools described in the Tracking Tools section at the bottom of this page. To control those tools, please read the Your Privacy Preferences section.
- We collect information from you passively. We may use tracking tools like browser cookies, flash cookies, and web beacons.
- Contests, Questions or Surveys. When you ask a question, participate in a survey or enter a contest or sweepstakes we may collect your name, address, phone number and email address. We use this information to facilitate your participation in a contest or sweepstakes. At that time, we may ask your permission to send you future marketing information.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect for business purposes, including:
To respond to your questions and requests. Examples include:
- Fulfilling orders or providing services
- Registering you for a particular website, loyalty program, or providing you with information regarding such programs or services
- Processing a return
- Responding to a product or service review
- Entering you into a sweepstakes or sending you prizes you might have won
To improve our products and services. We may use your information to make website or product and service improvements.
To look at website trends and customer interests. We might use your information to customize your experience with us. We may also combine information we get from you with information about you we have received from third parties to assess trends and interests.
For security purposes. We may use your information to protect our company, our customers, or our websites if we suspect fraud or other illegal activities or if there is an investigation relating to the same.
For our marketing. In certain circumstances, we may target you with digital ads, social ads, print ads, and other ads, and communications about special promotions, offers or rewards. For example, if you have registered on a website and indicated you want to receive this information. We may also notify you of new website features or product and service offerings. If permitted, we or True Value retail stores may also send information about offers, promotions, and other communication from local True Value retail stores, our Affiliates, and other companies we think you might find interesting. To manage our communications with you, follow the instructions in the Your Privacy Preferences section below.
Additional Security Info You Should Know
In addition to True Value, independent retail stores, call centers or sites may contact you regarding your order.
Call Centers. When you contact our Call Center you may be asked for information that identifies you, along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or concerns. This may include your name, address and a phone number where we can reach you. We may keep this information to assist you in the future.
Online Registration. Registration on any of our websites or for any of our programs is an optional service. You do not have to register to browse or shop online. When you register, you are asked for personal information such as your name, physical address, phone number, email address, a password that you select, and optionally, your interests. Your registration information may be used to help make your online shopping quicker and easier, by pre-filling certain parts of your shopping information. When you register you will also have the opportunity to sign up for future marketing information from True Value.
Passwords. If you choose to register on our websites or for any of our programs you will be asked to create a username and password. In order to further protect your personal information, please do not share your password with anyone else. If you wish to cancel a password, or if you become aware of any loss, theft or unauthorized use of your password, please Contact Us.
No “phishing” allowed. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other personal data through email. This practice, called "phishing", is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an email that looks like it is from True Value requesting this type of personal information, please delete it.
Privacy Preferences / Opt-Out. As a registered user, you may request to see the personal information that we have about you. To access your profile information at any time, sign in/log-in to your account.
To unsubscribe from email marketing communications, please select the 'Unsubscribe' link located at the bottom of that particular email message. Since retail stores are individually owned and operated, you may have to unsubscribe from each retail store that you receive email from.
Although you may have opted not to receive marketing communications, you may still get order confirmations, product recall notices or other order-related communications.
Overview of the Security Measures on Our Site
General. Our websites use Secure Sockets Layering (SSL) to encrypt your personal credit information, including your credit card number, before it travels over the Internet. SSL technology is the industry standard for secure online transactions.
Information About Others. In order to process and/or deliver your order, we may share information with participating retail stores and other third-parties who require it. To ship the order and confirm delivery:
- To identify or resolve technical problems or Customer Service issues
- As required by law and to comply with a court order or other legal process
- To respond to claims that your personalized messages violate the rights of third parties
- To protect the rights or property of True Value y and its affiliates
Protecting Children's Privacy. We recognize the importance of protecting privacy where children are involved. We do not verify age of shoppers. We do not knowingly collect personal information online from anyone under the age of 13 and if you are under the age of 13, you should not submit any personal information to us. We ask that you only use our websites or mobile services with a parent or guardian. If a child has provided our website with personally identifiable information, we ask that a parent or guardian contact us.
Controlling Online Interest-Based Ads. We sometimes work with online advertising vendors to provide you with relevant and useful ads. This may include ads served on our websites or mobile services. This may also include ads served on other companies’ websites. These ads may be based on information collected by us or third parties. For example, information a third party collects when you register for a website, like your zip code. This might be used to target an ad for people in your area. These ads may also be based on your activities on our websites or on third party websites.
To opt out of having your online behavior collected for advertising purposes, click here.
Information Sharing. We sometimes share information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. We share information with our service providers, such as our delivery service providers who ship and deliver your online orders. We might also authorize our service providers to collect information on our behalf. Some service providers may be located outside of the United States. We might also share information with the vendors and manufacturers of our products and services to respond to your reviews and questions. We may also share information with third-parties that provide support services to us (such as a printer, mailing house or web host) or that help us market our products and services. Such third-parties may need information about you in order to perform their functions.
To offer financial products. We use service providers to offer financial products, such as the True Value credit card. We or them may collect and may share personal information about you in order to provide you with tailored information about products and services and special offers. These service providers also have their own privacy statements that set out the manner in which they will collect, use and disclose personal information. We encourage you to review each service provider's privacy statement at the time you submit your application for such financial products.
Sale of Business. If some or all of the business assets are sold or transferred, we would generally transfer the corresponding information collected. We also may retain a copy of that information. In addition, if all or part of our business is sold or otherwise transferred, we may sell or transfer our collected information as part of that transaction.
Legal. For the protection of our websites, mobile applications, call centers, products, programs, services, and others, we may disclose information you provide through these mediums, especially when we believe disclosure is necessary to comply with the law; to enforce or apply our Conditions of Use and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our websites, our users or others.
We use a third party to place cookies on your device to collect non-personally identifiable information about your operating system, browser version, IP Address, and geo-location if you are using a mobile device. We may also use technologies, such as our own cookies, to provide you with relevant online advertising tailored to your interests. Opt-out using Network Advertising Initiative (NAI). To opt out of interest-based advertising by our network partners on our websites – or on other websites that are part of NAI networks – click here. You can choose to opt out of specific companies or all NAI participating companies.
You may choose to set your Web browser to not accept cookies. However, without enabling your cookies, you will not be able to view, create an account, or make purchases on our websites.
We collect personal and other information about users over time and across different websites when you use this website or our services. We also have third-parties that collect personal information this way. We or our third-party vendors use several common online tracking tools to collect this information. These may include browser and flash cookies. We may also use web beacons and similar technologies. We use these tools:
- To track new visitors to our websites
- To recognize returning customers
- To store your password if you are registered on our websites
- To make product recommendations and provide you with advertising content in which we think you will be interested. As part of this customization, we may observe your behaviors on our mobile services, our websites or on other websites. We may also get information about your browsing history from our trusted business partners and vendors
- To better understand our audience, our customers, our website visitors and mobile application users, and their respective interests
- To provide correct pricing and ads for the local store you select
- To fulfill purchases made on our website or through our mobile services
Controlling Our Tracking Tools. Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies. How you do so depends on the type of cookie. Certain browsers can be set to reject browser cookies. Flash cookies cannot be controlled through your browser settings. Your mobile device may not give you the ability to control cookies. If you wish to block cookies on our mobile application, you will need to delete the application from your mobile device. If you configure your device to block cookies, you will limit the functionality we can provide when you visit our websites. If you configure to block or delete cookies, not all of the tracking that we have described in this policy will stop.
Our "Do Not Track" Policy: Some browsers have a "Do Not Track" feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These browser features are not consistent. We are not set up to respond to those signals.
Third Party Links. Our Sites may include links to the websites of our business partners, vendors and advertisers. Except for the situations explained here in this section, we will not provide any of your personal information to these third parties without your prior consent.
If you have additional questions about privacy & security, please contact us.
Information We Collect. We may collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device (“personal information”). In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol (IP) address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))
A name, address, telephone number, education, employment. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law
Age (40 years or older), race, color, national origin, marital status, sex, veteran or military status.
D. Commercial information
Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
E. Biometric information
Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.
F. Internet or other similar network activity
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
G. Geolocation data
Physical location or movements.
H. Sensory data
Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
I. Professional or employment-related information
Current or past job history.
J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99))
Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.
K. Inferences drawn from other personal information
Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA's scope, such as:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from our customers or their agents. For example, from documents that our customers provide to us related to the services for which they engage us.
- Indirectly from our customers or their agents. For example, through information we collect from our customers in the course of providing services to them.
- Directly and indirectly from activity on our main website (www.truevalue.com) and related websites. For example, from submissions through our website portal or website usage details collected automatically.
- From third parties that interact with us in connection with the services we perform.
Use of Personal Information. We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To provide you with email alerts, event registrations and other notices concerning our products or services, or events or news, that may be of interest to you.
- To improve our website and present its contents to you.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our customers or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you advance notice.
Sharing Personal Information. We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter into a contract describing the purpose for sharing the data. This contract also requires the recipient party to keep the personal information confidential and not use it for any other purpose except as described by the contract.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Category I: Professional or employment-related information.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates.
- Service providers.
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed personal information with service providers or third-parties for purpose of validating, improving or enhancing personal data we collected.
Your Rights and Choices. The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your rights under the CCPA and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request we delete any of your personal information we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our (their) records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
By deleting your data we will no longer be able to send you promotional communications, offers and coupons; you will no longer be able to sign onto our websites and mobile applications or your loyalty account and we will no longer be able to assign, maintain, track accumulated points.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Visiting: Click Here
- Calling us at 800-897-3112.
Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a request to verify the requestor's identity and/or authority to make the request. We do however require you to provide us with an email address to interact with you on this matter.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Non-Discrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice. We reserve the right to amend this California privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will notify you by email or through a notice on our website.
Contact Information. If you have any questions or comments about this California Privacy Notice and/or our Privacy Statement, the ways in which we collect and use your personal information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please contact us at:
True Value Company, L.L.C.
Attn: Law Department – General Counsel
8600 W. Bryn Mawr Ave
Chicago, IL 60631
Nevada law gives Nevada consumers the right to request that a company not sell their personal information. This right applies even if their personal information is not currently being sold. Based on Nevada’s Senate Bill 220 definition of sale, True Value does not sell any consumer information collected. If you would like to contact us regarding your privacy rights, please email us at email@example.com.
Last updated: December 20, 2019.
Original date: November 1, 2010.